When you join the community that is the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, you will find a place of exploration and discovery. Here, you will be challenged to think more broadly and more deeply than probably ever before. You will learn to think critically and to act compassionately, working alongside your professors and fellow students in the classroom, in research settings and in the broader community. You can gain the insights you need to confront your preconceived notions and move beyond your comfort zones.
Our students engage in experiences that help them develop as creative and imaginative thinkers and engaged citizens in a world increasingly characterized by diversity and change. You will grow as a leader, ready to make a difference now and in your future.
With a major in CLAS, you will find you can:
- Think critically and analyze complex situations.
- Solve problems efficiently and effectively.
- Speak persuasively with a variety of audiences.
- Translate data into useful knowledge.
- Write coherent explanations and arguments.
- Collaborate with teams and lead from within.
- Do research and analysis using state-of-the-art methods and technologies.
- Interact with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Cast a wide net for career and life opportunities.
Students can find diverse options for academic and personal development, including through learning communities, academic organizations and success seminars. Academic clubs and organizations provide another way for you to become involved. Many College academic departments offer honors programs, in addition to the University Honors Program. Engagement opportunities feature leadership roles, volunteerism choices and special talks and seminars to help you grow your knowledge and skills as you prepare for your future. Among the offerings:
- Learning Communities
- Undergraduate Research
- Honors Programs
- Education abroad
- Experiential Learning
- Service Learning and Outreach
- Academic Student Organizations
- Leads (Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Applied, Development, Skills)